Monthly Archives: October 2013
October 28, 2013Posted by on
One of our favorite activities is griping at the kids to put their shoes away, hang their coats up and generally quit making a huge mess out of our front entry every time they came in the house. To be fair, the small coat closet in our entry is way overmatched for a Colorado family of 5. We always seem to need access to 3 different jackets (each) depending on the weather. It is an absolute necessity that my wife have easy access to 63 pairs of shoes and my kids sometimes end up wearing flip-flops in the winter (gotta love Colorado). We were cramming 5 people’s worth of stuff into a closet that my wife could probably occupy all on here own. We figured… why not give our favorite activity (griping at the kids) a little more space? Wouldn’t it be much better to gripe at the kids in the garage rather than our front entry?
This project really isn’t that complicated. It is basically building boxes. I chose to use melamine because it matches some existing closets we had already set up in the garage and it cleans up easily. Here is the space I am working with. As you can see, I did a poor job of cleaning up before taking this picture
I started off building the bench with storage space under it. Each box is about 15 inches wide and 21 inches deep. I even used some scrap pieces to make a kick plate to cover up the frame under the bench.
You can’t just set the bench on the garage floor because of the moisture in the concrete as well as the possibility of melted snow finding its way to the bench, so I built a small frame out of pressure treated lumber to protect the melamine bench. You can see it in this picture along with the un-attached kick plate.
To complete the project, I built a set of cubbies to hang over the bench and made a coat closet to keep those extra jackets. Again… it is really just building boxes. I also grabbed a few sheets of panelling while I was at Home Depot to hang on the wall and fancy it up a bit. I anchored some pine boards on the wall above the bench to have something sturdy to attach the coat hooks to and attached what looks like a bazillion coat hooks. After a couple coats of white paint… and I thought I was done. But after using this area for a couple of days, I decided to add some of those rubberized garage floor tiles to make it softer and to hopefully keep it clean.
The whole project was about a day’s worth of work (spread over 2 weekend of course… kid activities). We now have a place in the garage to gripe at the kids! Here are some shots of the completed project.