Tag Archives: bathroom remodel
November 13, 2014Posted by on
Because this bathroom remodel project was so big… I decided to post about it in phases. If you are interested in the other phases, here they are broken down (I will link to the other phases as I post them):
It pained me a bit to rip out the tile that I had just installed a few years ago (there was originally carpet on the floor!), but we wanted everything to match and it gave me a chance to install some electric in floor heating. I had thought that installing in floor heating would be expensive, but it really was pretty affordable. I bought a kit (including the thermostat) from Warming Systems for less than $300 and they even expedited shipping so that I could install the system when I had a good window of time to do it. It was pretty easy to install as well. After screwing down some 1/4″ wonder board, it only took me a couple of hours to lay the wire and run the thermostat wire. The heating wire did not draw as much power as I expected and I was able to tie into an existing circuit and avoid running a new one.
I also decided to go with the larger 18″ tile for the floors. My wife was a little worried about mixing tile sizes (we have 2″, 4″, 12″ and 18″ in the bathroom), but I think the mixed tile sizes gave the bathroom a little more “texture” without it looking weird.
In the picture above, you will notice that I did not tile all the way to the cabinets. I intentionally left that untiled in anticipation of replacing the vanity cabinets. One nice touch (I think anyway) was to replace the old wood baseboard with tile baseboard.
After installing the heated floor system, I was not so sure that it actually made much of a difference. Most mornings and evenings (when the system was turned on) I did not notice that nice warm feeling under my feet… until we got a cold day. Wow! As the weather has started to get colder here in Colorado, I am loving the in heated tile floor.
November 11, 2014Posted by on
Somehow every single bathroom in the house had been remodeled before our master bathroom. I am not sure how that happened, but it was time to fix it. Because this is such a big job and I seem to have less and less time to work on the house lately… I decided to break this into “phases”. Here are the main features:
- New tile everywhere!
- Create an arch above the shower
- Add niches in the shower
- New frameless shower door
- Add heated floors
- New vanity cabinets
- New Granite countertop
- New sinks (the faucets and shower hardware had been replaced shortly after we moved in)
- Mantles above the fireplace (both inside and outside the bathroom)
- Stone surrounding the fireplace (both inside and outside the bathroom)
And here are the phases I chose to break the project into:
This is a very lovely photo of the bath tub in the master bathroom that I took before we moved in. These pictures were actually taken even before we bought the house.
Since moving in, we have done some painting and replaced bathroom hardware. I couldn’t believe that my wife wanted the beautiful wall paper by the bathtub taken down! This was my actual starting point.
I chose to start this whole remodel by tiling the bathtub area. It was the lowest hanging fruit and would have the least impact on our continued use of the bathroom. The first step was to start tearing out the existing 4″ white tile. Fortunately/Unfortunately, it was really easy. The original tile installer used regular drywall as the substrate! It made it easy to rip out the tile but any water under that tile would have ruined it.
I used a combination of wonder board and cement board as the substrate. The only reason I mixed substrates was because I needed 1/2″ cement board for the wall area (same thickness as the drywall) and wanted to keep the height of the tub deck as low as possible using 1/4″ wonder board. I then painted all the surfaces with RedGard to keep any moisture from getting underneath.
I wish I had a picture of the bathtub painted in the blazing pink/red of RedGard, but I forgot to take one. If you are interested… this is what RedGard looks like after it has cured (from one of my other bathroom remodels).
The tiling was pretty straight forward. We chose some tile that we found at Lowes that had a “slate” look to it without the upkeep of actual slate. For the tub area, we used a 12″ tile along with the matching bullnose.